Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hawaii Reporter compartmentalizes Hawaiians

I was reading OHA's KA WAI OLA paper when I saw a section about the racist cartoon on the Hawaii Reporter website run by Malia Zimmerman. I've mentioned her before and the racist newspaper created for Haoles (mostly) to vent about Hawaiians and programs benefitting Hawaiians.

The article in KA WAI OLA mentioned how OHA Chairperson Haunani Apolonia wrote, "Where is the humor in comparing Native Hawaiians to cows? Is 'Hawaii Reporter' saying that Native Hawaiians should be 'good cows' and sit back and 'graze' while watching opponents of Hawaiians dismantle programs that benefit the bottom-line of the State of Hawai'i by providing assistance to Native Hawaiians?" She continued to say that they are finally showing its true colors. Fuck, as far as I knew early on, they were pretty opened about how they really hated all these programs in existence and did everything they could to continue to marginalize and compartamentalize Hawaiians.

Here's the wonderful photo along with a response about the cartoon.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?d66b37c2-3084-46f5-a99e-4c08f2729254

fake_pro-raid_ad

This pokes fun at the current KAU INOA program.

There's the famous cow for Meadow Gold Milk known as Lani Moo. Seems like they wanted to personally attack Haunani Apolonia and decided to call it Haunani Moo. So silly, so childish! But the website was nothing more than a means to allow Haoles to vent their prejudices, nothing more. I won't get into the details of this KAU INOA program which OHA persistently continues to send me notices about, but at least now this cartoon proves what I've always known about the HAWAII REPORTER. Now others can see what I've always known.

You have to read the description with the photo and see how they compare to Kanaka 'Oiwi. Also, my favorite Filipino-who-tries-too-hard-to-be-a-white-American Michelle Malkin has her own article.
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/01/31/the-state-of-hawaii-moves-to-censor-a-cartoon/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog about this! I meant to respond earlier and let you know that yours was the only positive response I received, along with a pretty nasty one from a Hawaii Reporter supporter (to which I did not respond). It is a ridiculous cartoon, and it's hard sometimes to resist being baited by those folks.

The Michelle Malkin article you link to is pretty interesting too. It's never just about white privileged people who don't get it.

I'm glad to have found your blog with all the good info on Moloka'i. Aloha pumehana, from San Diego.